YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION:
2018 – 2019
URBNSURF Melbourne is the first man-made surf park facility in Australia. Using world-leading Wavegarden wave generating technology, the facility delivers high quality, authentic surfing waves to suit all abilities.
The facility features a 22,000m2 (200m long by 190m wide) fresh water lagoon to offer surfers regular and consistent waves all year round. The lagoon was excavated using bulk earthmoving equipment and subsequently lined using waterproofing soil treatments and membranes. The lagoon is bound by concrete structures including a reaction wall, retaining walls and a shore hump and channel.
The scope of works included:
- Complete site establishment, clearing and grubbing and bulk earthworks cut and fill of lagoon and site;
- Batch and place waterproofing basecourse material to the lagoon, in preparation for surface lining;
- Construct civil elements including concrete structures (ground slabs, footings and retaining walls), chip & seal pavements and stormwater drainage;
- Construct civil services including potable and lagoon water, electricity and communications, NBN, gas and sewer;
- Install palisade and cyclone mesh fencing to the site perimeter;
- Install lighting to the lagoon, car parks and public areas.