Port Hedland, WA
YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION:
2013 & 2017
Water Corporation upgraded the 40 year old Yule Supply Main distribution system to meet growing demand in the region.
The water supply in Port Hedland and South Hedland comes from groundwater abstracted from the Yule and De Grey River borefields.
Ertech was contracted by Water Corporation to upgrade 26km of the old asbestos cement main in 2013 and later awarded an additional contract to upgrade 12km of the Yule Supply Main in 2017.
Yule Source Upgrade
The scope of works for the upgrade of 26km of the old asbestos cement main included:
- Stripping and clearing of pipeline easements;
- Hauling and stockpiling of topsoil;
- Installation of temporary haul and light vehicle access roads;
- Trenching and excavation works;
- Vacuum lifting and placement of MSCL pipe;
- Welding and installation of MSCL pipe;
- Installation of cathodic protection systems;
- Temporary fencing installation, relocation and reinstating existing fences;
- Connection to existing AC pipeline;
- Location of existing services;
- Handling and removal of material containing asbestos;
- Installation of air and scour valves, section valves and inspection manholes.
12km Yule Supply Main
The scope of works for upgrading the 12km of the Yule Supply Main included:
- Installation, testing and commissioning of 12km of 700mm diameter MSCL piping over four sections.